Spring has sprung, and so have the “Amazing! Life-changing!” detox/cleanse claims. I, too, have fallen victim to many of these claims over the years. My wallet has also taken a beating while trying out different cleanses that I thought would aid in my attempt to become a Seasonal Super-Human. Did they work? Some, kind of. Most, no. They did, however, heighten my awareness of all the toilets within a three-mile radius of where I might be during said cleanse. Is that a super-human power?
The truth is, our bodies are designed to constantly cleanse themselves. Every time we sneeze, cough, urinate, or defecate, we are eliminating toxins from our systems. The goal of any cleanse should be to accelerate this process. A cleanse or detox is best used as a foundation for a healthy (and ongoing) change in lifestyle. We tend to rely heavily on quick fixes that make us feel good for a few days, or months, and then transition back to the destructive behavior that made us “need” to cleanse in the first place. Breaking this cycle of “cleanse and repeat” can lead to drastically improved health and overall well-being. Try to support your natural self-cleansing with healthier food and drink choices every day.
There are two major toxins which accumulate in the human body over time:
1. Environmental Toxins, including pesticides, herbicides, carbon monoxide, prescription drugs, phthalates, BPA and VOCs.
2. Metabolic Toxins which are released into the body from parts of food that remain undigested. Common culprits are casein (an allergy-triggering protein found in milk products), gluten, and sugar.
Below are 10 tips to support natural self-cleansing on a daily basis. By following just some of these suggestions, you may not feel the urge to perform a seasonal detox due to your increase in overall wellness. Additionally, you may prevent disease and lose weight while you’re at it!
1. Eat more organic greens. Every day.
2. Eat more organic fruit. Avoid fruit juices. Every day.
3. Drink 6-8 glasses of water. Every day.
4. Avoid processed food like it’s the plague. Every day.
5. Enjoy more fermented food and drinks like sauerkraut and kombucha. Every day.
6. Get in more exercise. Every day.
7. Avoid products with man made chemicals. Every day.
8. Eat less white flour and white sugar. Every day.
9. Lower your alcohol and caffeine intake. Every day.
10. Get in touch with yourself through mediation, yoga or calming music. Every day.
The bottom line is that the healthier you are, the easier it is to create a less toxic body, mind and world.
Be good to yourselves.